March 8, 2008
Lincoln, Neb. --- The University of New Mexico men's tennis team swept No. 74 Western Michigan, 7-0, on Saturday in a neutral site match. The Lobos, ranked No. 54, improved to 9-6 after winning seven of their last nine matches.
In doubles, Max Jones and Kamil Pajkowski paired up at the No. 1 spot for a 9-8 victory. The Parkes brothers, Chris and Johnny, played the No. 2 spot for an 8-3 win. Graeme Kassautzki and Joe Wood scored a 9-7 win at the No. 3 spot.
The Lobos finished the sweep, winning all six singles matches. Jones played the No. 1 spot winning 6-4, 6-4. Johnny Parkes needed a third set at the No. 2 for a 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 victory. Miles Bugby played No. 3 for a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 win. Kassautzki had a quick 6-1, 6-2 victory on the No. 4 court. Chris Parkes had two 6-4 sets to win in the five spot while Pajkowski came from behind to win 6-7, 6-3, 6-2.
Head Coach Alan Dils said: "I thought we played well. We played hard. Western Michigan is a good and we did a good job and now we have to get ready for Nebraska."
The Lobos stay in Lincoln one more day to face the Nebraska Huskers on Sunday.
Singles Winner Score
1) Alex Birchmeier vs. #40 Max Jones UNM 6-4, 6-4
2) Kevin Hayward vs. Johnny Parkes UNM 7-6, 3-6, 1-0
3) Kazuya Komada vs. Miles Bugby UNM 6-4, 5-7, 1-0
4) Alejandro Staub vs. Graeme Kassautzki UNM 6-1, 6-2
5) Bryan Norville vs. Chris Parkes UNM 6-4, 6-4
6) Michael Calderone vs. Kamil Pajkowski UNM 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
Doubles Winner Score
1) B. Norville/A. Birchmeier vs. M. Jones/K. Pajkowski UNM 9-8
2) K. Hayward/C. Cullen vs. J. Parkes/C. Parkes UNM 8-3
3) M. Calderone/K. Komada vs. G. Kassautzki/J. Wood UNM 9-7