January 25, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team recorded its first win of the season as the Lobos defeated the University of Texas at San Antonio (5-2) on Saturday afternoon. The match was played at the John E. Hoff Tennis Center at the University of Houston.
The Lobos made a fine opening statement with this victory and certainly proved themselves to be tough competitors despite their young age.
UNM earned the first point of the match after sweeping the Roadrunners in doubles play. No. 2 team Meredith Hopson and Natasha Smith clinched a 6-2 victory over UTSA’s Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson. Teammates Susan Baklini and Emily Olivier collected a 6-2 win of their own over Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shickova.
The momentum carried through into singles as Smith (No. 3), Hopson (No. 4), Oliver (No. 5), and Baklini (No. 6) all won their matches in the first two sets.
"I am very proud of how the team competed today,” Head Coach Erica Jasper said. “It was a total team effort and it was nice to get our first win under our belt. With 5 out of 6 players playing their first dual match as Lobos, I was really impressed with how we handled the nerves and the excitement of the moment. We have a very tough match on deck, so we'll have to be even more disciplined tomorrow."
UNM faces the University of Houston on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 11 a.m. MTN.
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) vs. Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) 5-4, unfinished
2. Hopson/Smith (UNM) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 6-2
3. Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 6-2
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Michaela Bezdickova (UNM) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Lizette Blankers (UNM) 4-6, 6-0, 10-2
3. Meredith Hopson (UNM) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Natasha Smith (UNM) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Emily Olivier (UNM) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Susan Baklini (UNM) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 7-6, 7-5