January 26, 2014
HOUSTON, Texas – The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 heart breaker to the University of Houston on Sunday afternoon at the John E. Hoff Tennis Center.
The Lobos got off to a strong start and clinched the doubles point. Senior Misa Bezdickova and freshman Lizette Blankers collaborated for a victory in the No. 1 doubles spot. No. 2 doubles team Meredith Hopson and Natasha Smith also found some success in doubles competition as they beat Houston’s Charlotte Phillips and Tina Rupert, 6-4.
Blankers and Smith also pulled through for the Lobos in singles. They were both able to snag a win and keep UNM in the game. The match was tied 3-3 before Houston slipped ahead and claimed the victory in a hard fought match.
"It definitely was a heart breaker today, most 4-3 matches are...but we are exceptionally proud of how the team competed,” Head Coach Erica Jasper said. “We have a lot of confidence that we will use the experience today and work to be even better next week.”
The Lobos are now 1-1 in the season.
UNM's next event is a doubleheader on Friday, Jan. 31 at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
The Lobos face Grand Canyon at 9 a.m. MTN and CSU-Pueblo at 1 p.m. MTN.
“All in all it was a great weekend; we played two tough matches against gritty, tough opponents and we competed very well. This weekend will definitely make us better down the road,” Jasper said.
Houston – 4, New Mexico – 3
1) Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) Martin/Cardenas (UH), 6-4
2) Hopson/Smith (UNM) def. Phillips/Rupert (UH), 6-4
3) Kordolaimi/Vogasari (UH) def. Baklini/Olivier (UNM), 6-3
1) Vogasari (UH) def. Bezdickova (UNM), 6-0, 6-3
2) Blankers (UNM) def. Fraser (UH), 6-2, 6-2
3) Cardenas (UH) def. Hopson (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
4) Smith (UNM) def. Phillips (UH), 7-6 (5), 6-0
5) Rupert (UH) def. Olivier (UNM), 6-0, 6-2
6) Martin (UH) def. Baklini (UNM), 7-5, 4-6, 10-8