February 14, 2014
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team tallied its 26th consecutive win against Northern Arizona after sweeping the Lumberjacks 7-0 on Friday afternoon.
It was a successful Valentine’s Day match for the Lobos. The sixty-five degree Albuquerque weather allowed the team to play its first outdoor match of the season at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
The Lobos dominated in doubles and quickly claimed the first point of the match. No. 1 team Hayden Sabatka and Andy Van Der Vyver took the first doubles win and teammates James Hignett and Mitchell McDaniels followed with a point in the No. 2 spot to clinch the point.
The Lumberjacks battled in singles play against the Lobos, but UNM held strong. Mitchell McDaniels, 2-2 on the season, was the first off the court for the Lobos after defeating NAU’s Trevor Unger, 6-1, 6-1. No. 1 Sabatka and No. 2 Rodolfo also picked up two-set wins and allowed the Lobos to claim the victory early on in the match.
James Hignett and Van Der Vyver both won in three-set matches. All six Lobos added another victory to their records after today’s match.
“The guys did a great job today from start to finish against an improved NAU team,” Head Coach Alan Dils said. “It was good to get outside in the terrific weather we are having and play tennis under the sun.”
UNM continued its winning streak against at NAU for at least one more season.
The Lobos next battle Air Force on Sunday at 2 p.m. MTN.
Result: UNM def. NAU, 7-0
1) Sabatka/Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Black/Unger (NAU), 6-2
2) Hignett/McDaniels (UNM) & Gobatie/Tomasetti (NAU), 6-2
3) Hegelund/Jauregui (UNM) & Barrios/Locci (NAU) -- UNFINISHED
1) Sabatka (UNM) def. Gobatie (NAU), 6-1, 6-4
2) Jauregui (UNM) def. Locci (NAU), 6-5, 6-2
3) McDaniels (UNM) def. Unger (NAU), 6-1, 6-1
4) Hignett (UNM) def. Tomasetti (NAU), 6-4, 5-6, 1-0
5) Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Black (NAU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
6) Hegelund (UNM) def. Barrios (NAU), 6-2, 6-3