ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team defeated the Utah State Aggies 6-1 in the first ever match up between the two conference opponents. This is USU’s first season in the Mountain West.
The Lobos easily claimed the doubles point after two quick wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Mads Hegelund and Andrew Van Der Vyver started off the Lobos with an 8-0 victory in the No. 3 spot. No. 2 doubles team Hayden Sabatka and Rodolfo Jauregui recorded an 8-3 win against USU’s Peterson and Whiting to finalize the point for the Lobos.
UNM also claimed five of six singles matches.
Hegelund and Sabatka each tallied two-set wins to give UNM the 3-0 lead.
Junior Samir Iftikhar clinched the match for the Lobos with a 6-2, 6-1 victory against Dennis Baumgartner in the No. 1 spot. Iftikhar missed UNM’s last match against UNLV as he was competing on Pakistan’s team in the 2014 Davis Cup.
Van Der Vyver and Jauregui came through with two more Lobo victories to set the score at 6-0. James Hignett put up a tough fight against Sebastian Schneider in the No, 5 spot, but came up short allowing the Aggies to record their only point of the match.
The Lobos are now 17-7, 2-2 on the season.
UNM closes out the regular season on Sunday at 11 a.m. with a big Senior Day match against Nevada. The Loren Dils Benefit BBQ will also be held during Sunday’s match.
Result: UNM def. USU, 6-1
1) Hignett/Iftikhar (UNM) & Baumgartner/Fritz (USU) -- UNFINISHED
2) Sabatka/Jauregui (UNM) def. Peterson/Whiting (USU), 8-3
3) Van Der Vyver/Hegelund (UNM) def. Sweet/Schneider (USU), 8-0
Order of Finish: (3, 2)
1) Iftikhar (UNM) def. Baumgartner (USU), 6-2, 6-1
2) Sabatka (UNM) def. Fritz (USU), 6-3, 6-3
3) Jauregui (UNM) def. Peterson (USU), 6-3, 6-4
4) Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Sweet (USU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Schneider (USU) def. Hignett (UNM), 6-4, 7-5
6) Hegelund (UNM) def. Cosmai (USU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: (6, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5)