ATLANTA, G.A. -- The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team opened its weekend in Atlanta, Georgia with a 4-1 win over No. 71 Georgia State on Saturday afternoon at the Blackburn Tennis Center. The No. 67 Lobos are now 15-5 on the season and 2-1 on the road.
Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett started off the match with a 8-3 win in the No. 1 spot. But GSU answered with a win of its own. No. 2 doubles team Hayden Sabatka and Andrew Van Der Vyver dropped their match to Robert Schulze and Sofiane Chevallier.
Rodolfo Jauregui and Mitchell McDaniels defeated Eric Baum and Jannis Koeke in a tight match in the No. 3 position. The Lobo duo clinched the doubles point for the Lobos after winning in a tight tiebreaker.
In singles action, Hignett and Van Der Vyver picked up quick wins to give UNM a 3-0 advantage. Hignett is now sitting at an impressive singles record of 14-5-1.
Sabatka (15-4-1) fell to Koeke No. 2 position and allowed the Panthers to claim their first point of the match.
Jauregui came through for the Lobos and won in a three-set battle to clinch the match for the Lobos. Iftikhar’s and Hegelund’s matches were declared unfinished.
“It was a hard fought match,” associate head coach Bart Scott said. “Georgia State is really tough, so to beat them on their courts should give our guys confidence moving forward.”
The Lobos take on No. 39 Drake on Sunday morning. For full results at the end of the match head to golobos.com.
Result: UNM def. Georgia State, 4-1
1) Hignett/Iftikhar (UNM) def. Cook/Horvat (GSU), 8-3
2) Schulze/Chevallier (GSU) def. Sabatka/Van Der Vyver (UNM), 8-7
3) Jauregui/McDaniels (UNM) def. Baum/Koeke (GSU), 8-7
Order of Finish: (1,2,3)
1) Iftikhar (UNM) & Cook (GSU) – DNF
2) Koeke (GSU) def. Sabatka (UNM), 6-4, 7-5
3) Jauregui (UNM) def. Schulze (GSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4) Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Chevallier (GSU), 6-2, 6-1
5) Hignett (UNM) def. Baum (GSU), 6-1, 6-0
6) Hegelund (UNM) & Jaworski (GSU) -- DNF
Order of Finish: (4, 5, 2, 3)