“Obviously it was a tough, close match today,” head coach Erica Jasper said. “North Texas played really well. Those kind of matches are always hard to lose, but I was really proud of how well we competed today from top to bottom.”
The Lobos started the match by dropping the doubles point. UNM came out strong with a win in the No. 3 spot. Dominique Dulski and Emily Olivier defeated Dane Joubert and Agustina Valenzuela 8-5 to give the Lobos a 1-0 lead, but the Mean Green took over in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions and claimed the point.
UNM gave up four very tight singles matches to give NT the victory.
The score was sitting at an even 2-2 before the Lobos fell in the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 spots to set the score at a final 5-2. Michaela Bezdickova, Natasha Smith, and Meredith Hopson all lost in long three-set battles. Lizette Blankers dropped her first match in a tiebreaker.
“If we can build on what we did today, we’ll be in a very good spot come the conference season,” Japer said.
The Lobos finished the weekend with a 1-1 record and are now 9-6 on the season.
UNM hits the road again this weekend when they travel down to New Mexico State to take on the Aggies in a big in-state rivalry match at 2 p.m. MT on Friday.
Result: North Texas def. UNM, 5-2
1) Sprinkmeyer/Bardabush (NT) def. Bezdickova/Blankers (NM) 8-6
2) Galieva/Thoma (NT) def. Hopson/Smith (NM) 8-5
3) Dulski /Olivier (NM) def. Joubert/Valenzuela (NT) 8-5Order of Finish: (3,1,2)
1) Bardabush (NT) def. Bezdickova (NM), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2) Shestakova (NT) def. Blankers (NM), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3) Galieva (NT) def. Smith (NM), 7-6, 4-6, 10-5
4) Valenzuela (NT) def. Hopson (NM), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
5) Dulski (NM) def. Thoma (NT), 6-0, 6-2
6) Bhat (NM) def. Cordero (NT), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: (5,4,6,2,1,3)