ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The Lobos improve to 3-1 in Mountain West Conference play with a convincing 5-2 win over the Wyoming Cowboys on Sunday afternoon. The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team is now 14-7 overall.
“This was a great match for Lobo women’s tennis,” interim head coach Kelcy McKenna said. “Wyoming is a very talented team and I am very pleased with how we competed today in singles and doubles.”
It was a windy spring day at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex, but the Lobos powered through to hand the Cowboys their first MW loss of the season.
UNM earned the doubles point fairly quickly as the No. 2 and No. 3 teams dominated in their match ups. Natasha Smith and Dominique Dulski topped UW’s Christa Gecheva and Ima Espinosa 8-2 in the No. 2 position to give the Lobos an early lead. Freshmen Rachana Bhat and Susan Baklini teamed up for the first time this season and recorded a win in the No. 3 spot to clinch the point for UNM.
UNM also claimed four of six singles matches.
Smith and Bhat both recorded wins to give UNM a 3-1 edge over the Cowboys. Bhat is now sitting at a perfect 12-0 record in singles play this season.
Dulski sealed the deal for the Lobos with her victory in the No. 5 spot. She is now 12-3 in singles.
While the match had already been decided, the action continued for another hour. Blankers and Meredith Hopson battled in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Blankers was able to tally a win after duking it out with Jonas through three sets. Hopson also fought through three sets (including an eleven-point tiebreaker), but unfortunately UW’s Silviya Zhelyazkova claimed the victory with a final score of 5-7, 6-4, 11-9.
The Lobos do not play again until they close out the season with a match against Air Force on April 19 at Linda Estes.
Result: UNM def. UW, 5-2
1) Popovici/Jonas (UW) def. Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM), 8-6
2) Smith/Dulski (UNM) def. Gecheya/Espinosa (UW), 8-2
3) Bhat/Baklini (UNM) def. Vasileva/Zhelyazkova (UW), 8-3
1) Popovici (UW) def. Bezdickova (UNM), 6-0, 6-1
2) Blankers (UNM) def. Jonas (UW), 6-1, 6-7 (3), 10-8 (1-0)
3) Zhelyazkova (UW) def. Hopson (UNM), 5-7, 6-4, 11-9 (1-0)
4) Smith (UNM) def. Gecheva (UW), 6-4, 6-1
5) Dulski (UNM) def. Vasileva (UW), 7-5, 6-1
6) Bhat (UNM) def. Espinosa (UW), 6-4, 6-1