March 27, 2010
El Paso, Texas- The University of New Mexico outdoor track and field season opened in full this weekend at the UTEP Springtime Invitational. The Lobos competed in several events Saturday. Among the top performers was Sandy Fortner, who finished second in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.23.
Also finishing in the top three in the respective events were:
- Briana Paxton finished first in the women's discus throw, throwing 157-04 and also finished third in the shot put with a mark of 42-11.50.
- Kelly Fortner finished third in the pole vault with a mark of 11-05.75.
- Kyle Walker and Sam Potter tied for first in the pole vault with a mark of 16-00.75.
- Deanna Young hit a mark of 19-00.75 in the long jump for a third place finish.
- Alex Kitterman took home first in the javelin throw with a mark of 173-10.
- Brian Wilson (14.88) and Richard York (15.91) finished 1 and 2 in the 110-meter hurdles.
- Sam Evans took home the silver in the 800 meters with a time of 1:52.37.
- Ashley Miknis finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.29.
- Josh Lovato (56.61) and Chad Clark (57.25) finished 2 and 3 in the 400-meter hurdles.
The Lobos will be back in action April first in Austin, Texas for the Texas Relays.