January 22, 2014
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The University of New Mexico’s Hayden Sabatka was named Mountain West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week as announced by the MW on Wednesday, Jan. 22.
After a very impressive weekend at the Ned and Tina Jacobs Lobo Tennis Kickoff, it is no surprise that the UNM freshman received the POW honor. Sabatka, a Denver native, went completely undefeated (6-0) during his matches against opponents from UC Irvine, Arizona, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
The young freshman can take great pride in the strength and confidence in which he played his very first collegiate dual matches. Sabatka competed primarily in the number three singles position for the Lobos, but moved up to the number two spot during a match against TAMUCC's Guillaume Rauseo.
Going completely unbeaten after three consecutive days of doubleheaders is no easy task. UNM can certainly expect good things from Sabatka in the future.
Sabatka’s Weekend Highlights:
- He finished the weekend with an individual record of 6-0
- He lost only one set out of the six matches he played
- This weekend was his first time competing in an official collegiate dual match
- He competed in as high as the number two singles positions (just behind teammate Samir Iftikhar, No. 45)
- He contributed to the overall team success (6-0 record)
Sabatka’s Weekend Results:
Sabatka def. Mario Urquidi (UA), 6-2, 6-4
Sabatka def. Caryl Hernandez (UCI), 6-3, 6-0
Sabatka def. Guillaume Rauseo (TAMCC), 6-3, 6-2
Sabatka def. Tyler Pham (UCI), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
Sabatka def. Guillaume Rauseo (TAMCC), 6-1, 6-1
Sabatka def. Naoki Takeda (UA), 6-3, 6-3