February 23, 2014
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team had its four-match winning streak snapped with a 4-1 road loss against Santa Clara on Sunday afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center.
The Lobos battled in their second road match of the season, but the young squad couldn’t seem to get things going.
The No. 69 Lobos dropped the doubles point to the No. 74 Broncos to start the match. No. 1 doubles team Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett fell to SCU’s John Lamble and Ilya Osintsev 8-2, giving the Broncos the first point of the match. Lamble and Osintsev have yet to lose a doubles match this season.
SCU claimed the doubles point after picking up a win in the No. 2 spot. Hayden Sabatka and Andy Van Der Vyver put up a strong fight against Sam Bertram and Ashot Khacharyan, but lost the match 8-5.
“They are extremely tough to play on their home courts and are a super talented team,” associate head coach Bart Scott said. “Our team fought so hard to get our teeth into the match and for that we are very proud.”
The Broncos also took control in singles play.
Van Der Vyver earned a win in the No. 5 spot to UNM on the board, but it was the only win that the Lobos would claim during the match.
Hignett and Sabatka both came up short in their tightly-contested matches and gave SCU a 3-1 lead. The Bronco victory was decided when Jauregui fell to Khacharyan in the third set of their close match. Khacharyan, a Russia native, currently holds the longest winning streak for SCU and is sitting at an 8-2 record.
Iftikhar’s and Hegelund’s matches were called once the match was decided.
UNM is leaving California with a 1-1 record.
The Lobos do not have another match until March 1, when they take on Denver at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
“There were several shifts in momentum in the match today and in the end they were too tough,” Scott said. “We have another tough match on deck with Denver.”
Result: Santa Clara defeated New Mexico, 4-1
1) Samir Iftikhar (UNM) & Josh Lamble (SC) -- UNFINISHED
2) Ilya Osintsev (SC) def. Hayden Sabatka (UNM), 6-3, 6-3
3) Ashot Khacharyan (SC) def. Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM), 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
4) Mikheil Khmiadashvili (SC) def. James Hignett (UNM) 6-7, 6-2, 6-1
5) Andy Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Jesse Ross (SC), 6-4, 6-1
6) Mads Hegelund (UNM) & Sam Bertram (SC) -- UNFINISHED
1) Osintsev/Lamble (SC) def. Iftikhar/Hignett (UNM), 8-2
2) Khacharyan/Bertram (SC) def. Sabatka/Van Der Vyver (UNM), 8-5
3) Hegelund/Jauregui (UNM) & Khmiadashvili/Ross (SC) -- UNFINISHED