LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team recorded its fourth consecutive win against rival New Mexico State on Saturday afternoon. The No. 62 Lobos defeated the Aggies 4-2 at the NMSU Tennis Center.
The Lobos clinched the doubles point in a tight competition to start the match. Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett dropped their match in the No. 1 spot, but UNM’s No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams were able to hang on and pick up wins. Hayden Sabatka and Rodolfo Jauregui defeated Paul Denele and Patrick Pfister in a tiebreaker, 8-7, in the No. 2 position. Andrew Van Der Vyver and Mads Hegelund picked up their first win as a duo in the No. 3 spot.
The Lobos are now 16-6 on the season.
UNM’s remaining matches are all Mountain West Conference matches.
The men’s tennis team does not play again until April 6th when they travel to the University of Nevada – Las Vegas to take on the Rebels in a tough conference match up.
Result: UNM def. NMSU, 4-2
1) Samir Iftikhar (UNM) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU), 6-2, 6-5
2) Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Hayden Sabatka (UNM), -2, 3-6, 6-3
3) Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) & Germain Degardin (NMSU) – UNFINISHED
4) Andrew Van Der Vyver (UNM) def. Liam Goldberg (NMSU), 6-3, 6-2
5) Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. James Hignett (UNM), 6-0, 7-6
6) Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Naveen Manivannan (NMSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2