April 11, 2009
SAN DIEGO - The 41st-ranked University of New Mexico men's tennis team defeated 64th-ranked BYU, 4-3, today for a 2-1 record over the three-match conference series this weekend. The Lobos ended the Cougars' three-match conference win streak to improve to 17-4 and 4-1 in the Mountain West Conference. BYU drops to 15-10 and 3-3 in MWC play.
Seniors Johnny Parkes and Miles Bugby shook off a three-match losing streak to defeat Roman Warias and A.J. Young, 8-4, at the No. 1 position. The pair is now 14-5 in spring action. At the No. 2 spot, senior Graeme Kassautzki and sophomore Joe Wood also improved to 14-5 with an 8-3 victory over Daniel Hwang and Thomas Shubert.
UNM would need the doubles point as the singles matches were an even split at 3-3. Parkes collected his 20th win of the spring season, a 6-3, 6-3 win over Warias at the No. 1 position. Parkes is 20-1 overall in the dual season and has notched 13 straight wins.
Kassautzki made it back-to-back singles wins in two days downing Thomas Shubert in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2. Freshmen Carl Ho won all three of his singles matches this weekend ater picking up another victory today. Ho, who was inserted into the No. 6 slot, won 6-4, 6-4 over Hwang.
The Lobos will be back in action on Tuesday, April 21, hosting San Diego State in a rescheduled match at the UNM Tennis Complex. UNM will remain home as the MWC Championships are in Albuquerque, from March 23-25.
#41 New Mexico 4, #64 BYU 3
1. Miles Bugby/Johnny Parkes (UNM) def. Roman Warias/A.J. Young (BYU) 8-4
2. Graeme Kassautzki/Joe Wood (UNM) def. Daniel Hwang/Thomas Shubert (BYU) 8-3
3. Cassidy Mears/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Ben Dunbar/Carl Ho (UNM) 8-7
1. Johnny Parkes (UNM) def. Roman Warias (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Miles Bugby (UNM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Thomas Shubert 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Ben Dunbar (UNM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Phil Anderson (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Daniel Hwang 6-4, 6-4