FRESNO, Calif. – The University of New Mexico men’s tennis team concluded its 2014 season with a tough 4-0 loss to top-seeded Boise State in the final round of the Mountain West Championships on Sunday afternoon.
After dropping the doubles point to start the match, the Lobos couldn’t seem to make a comeback. This is the third consecutive year that UNM’s season has ended with a championship loss to the Broncos.
BSU earned the first point of the match after tallying wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. All-MW duo Samir Iftikhar and James Hignett battled in the No. 1 spot, but their match went unfinished as the Bronocs prevailed in the other two matches.
Hayden Sabatka, Hignett, and Iftikhar’s matches were all declared unfinished.
Along with the 2014 conference title, the Broncos also claimed the MW’s automatic bid into the 2014 NCAA Championships.
The Lobos finish the season with an impressive 20-8 record.
For full coverage of the 2014 MW Championships, head to:
Result: BSU def. UNM, 4-0
1) Iftikhar/Hignett (UNM) & Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU) – DNF
2) McClain/Patton (BSU) def. Sabatka/Jauregui (UNM), 8-5
3) Mitchell/Sereke (BSU) def. Van Der Vyver/Hegelund (UNM), 8-4
Order of Finish: (3, 2)
1) Iftikhar (UNM) & Bettles (BSU), 6-3, 4-0, DNF
2) Sabatka (UNM) & Sereke (BSU), 3-6, 2-2, DNF
3) Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jauregui (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
4) Patton (BSU) def. Van Der Vyver (UNM), 6-2, 6-4
5) Hignett (UNM) & McClain (BSU), 6-1, 4-3, DNF
6) Mitchell (BSU) def. Hegelund (UNM), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: (4, 6, 3)