ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team finished Sunday’s doubleheader with a perfect score of 14-0 after defeating both Northern Arizona and Western New Mexico 7-0.
The day started with a highly contested doubles match between the Lobos and the Lumberjacks. No. 3 doubles team Emily Olivier and Susan Baklini claimed the first of New Mexico’s fourteen wins after defeating NAU’s Sarah Maria Spruch and Jordan Denesik, 6-3. UNM’s Meredith Hopson and Natasha Smith came up short in the No. 2 spot and fell to Johanna Vang and Tatum Rochin, 7-5. With the score at 1-1, the doubles point came down to a tight match between No. 1 team Misa Bezdickova and Lizette Blankers and NAU’s Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin. The Lobos clinched the doubles point in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (10).
"Despite a slow start again in doubles, we really competed well down the stretch, which was great to see,” Head Coach Erica Jasper said. “NAU plays very solid doubles, so we were very pleased to get that point and some momentum going into singles. In singles I was exceptionally proud of the discipline we showed and the commitment to taking care of our half of the court."
The match was decided early for the Lobos as the freshmen dominated in singles. Olivier, Blankers, Hopson, and Rachana Bhat were the first off the court as they each picked up easy two-set wins against the Lumberjacks. The Lobos led 5-0 as Bezdickova and Smith finished out their matches. Smith defeated Denesik in the No. 3 spot, 7-5, 6-2. Bezdickova picked up a win in the No. 1 spot after battling through a tiebreaker against Vang.
This is the first time that the Lobos have defeated NAU since 2011.
UNM shut out WNMU, 7-0, to wrap up the doubleheader. The doubles point was decided in a little under thirty minutes as the Lobos swept the Mustangs in all three matches.
"The team came out ready to go this afternoon and really took care of business from start to finish,” Jasper said.
The freshmen also dominated in singles against WNMU. Hopson, Baklini, Bhat, and Madison Porter all won their matches 6-0, 6-0. Blankers and Bezdickova followed up with wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots.
“It was nice to be able to rest a few players in the singles,” Jasper said. “In terms of individual efforts, Lizette Blankers really had a great weekend overall in singles and in doubles. As a freshman, she's shown a lot of poise and maturity playing at the #1 spot in doubles and #2 in singles and has gotten better each match out."
UNM is now 4-0 against the WNMU Mustangs.
After picking up four wins this weekend, the Lobos move to 5-1 on the season.
UNM vs NAU
Result: UNM def. NAU, 7-0
1) Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) def. Box/H. Rochin (NAU), 7-6 (5)
2) Vang/T. Rochin (NAU) def. Hopson/Smith (UNM), 7-5
3) Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Spruch/Denesik (NAU), 6-3
1) Bezdickova (UNM) def. Vang (NAU), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
2) Blankers (UNM) def. H. Rochin (NAU), 6-4, 6-4
3) Smith (UNM) def. Denesik (NAU), 7-5, 6-2
4) Hopson (UNM) def. T. Rochin (NAU), 6-4, 6-0
5) Olivier (UNM) def. Spruch (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
6) Bhat (UNM) def. Headford, 6-1, 6-2
UNM vs WNMU
Result: UNM def. WNMU, 7-0
1) Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) def. Tiurina/Morrill (WNMU), 6-1
2) Hopson/Smith (UNM) def. Monier/Irvin (WNMU), 6-0
3) Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Osuna/Aguirre (WNMU), 6-0
4) Bezdickova (UNM) def. Turina (WNMU), 6-1, 6-1
5) Blankers (UNM) def. Monier (WNMU), 6-2, 6-0
6) Smith (UNM) def. Osuna (WNMU), 6-0, 6-0
7) Hopson (UNM) def. Morrill (WNMU), 6-0, 6-0
8) Olivier (UNM) def. Irvin (WNMU), 6-0, 6-0
9) Baklini (UNM) def. Aguirre (WNMU), 6-0, 6-0