February 15, 2014
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The Lobos claimed their sixth win of the season after defeating Abilene Christian, 6-1, at the Eager Tennis Complex on Saturday afternoon.
The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team had a successful first day in Texas. The Lobos met up with the Wildcats for the first time since 2011 and added another victory to their record.
UNM started strong in doubles play. Head Coach Erica Jasper made a few adjustments to the lineup and it seemed to have worked to the Lobos’ advantage. Freshman Dominique Dulski made her first appearance in the 2014 season as she teamed up with Natasha Smith to compete in the No. 1 doubles spot. The duo’s doubles match went unfinished after No. 2 team Lizette Blankers and Misa Bezdickova and No. 3 team Susan Baklini and Emily Olivier both claimed two early wins in the doubles competition. Freshmen Baklini and Olivier have proved themselves as strong doubles competitors for the Lobos as they record a 4-1 record in doubles.
The Lobos also dominated in singles. Five of the six of the UNM competitors picked up wins on Saturday. Bezdickova fell short against Mica Hermsdorf, 6-2, 6-3, moving her to a 3-4 record on the season.
UNM faces a tough match on Sunday as they take on No. 25 Texas Tech at 4 p.m. MTN.
1) Dulski/Smith (UNM) & K. Hermsdorf/M. Hermsdorf (ACU) -- UNFINISHED
2) Blankers/Bezdickova (UNM) def. Reed/Walker (ACU), 8-7
3) Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Conrad/Marjanovic (ACU), 8-4
1) M. Hermsdorf (ACU) def. Bezdickova (UNM), 6-2, 6-3
2) Blankers (UNM) def. Reed (ACU), 6-4, 7-5
3) Hopson (UNM) def. Walker (ACU), 6-2, 6-3
4) Olivier (UNM) def. K. Hermsdorf (ACU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5) Dulski (UNM) def. Marjampvic (ACU), 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
6) Baklini (UNM) def. Conrad (ACU), 6-7, 6-0, 6-1