BOISE, Idaho -- The Lobos dropped their first conference match of the season in a tight 4-3 heartbreaker against Boise State on Friday afternoon at the Appleton Tennis Center. The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team is now 11-7, 0-1 on the season.
It was a close match all the way throughout. The Broncos earned the first point of the match after sneaking past the Lobos in doubles play. Michaela Bezdickova and Lizette Blankers tallied a win in the No. 1 spot, but BSU took the victory in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to clinch the point. Meredith Hopson and Natasha Smith fell 8-4 to Anissa Bryant-Swift and Teal Vosburgh. The score was sitting at 1-1 when Dominique Dulski and Emily Olivier lost in an intense tiebreaker against Morgan Basil and Sammie Watson, 8-7 (3).
The Lobos rallied in singles play, but came up a match shy. Freshman Rachana Bhat started off UNM with a win defeating BSU’s Sammie Watson, 6-0, 7-5 in the No. 6 spot. Bhat is now sitting at a perfect 9-0 record in singles play.
Hopson fell in the No. 5 spot to give the Broncos a 2-1 lead. Smith and Blankers responded with wins to put UNM ahead 3-2, but BSU claimed the final two singles matches to take the victory. Dulski and Bezdickova both fell in tough three-set battles.
This is UNM’s sixth consecutive loss to BSU.
The Lobos will finish off the weekend at Utah State. UNM is squaring off against the Aggies on Sunday morning.
Result: Boise State def. UNM, 4-3
1) Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) def. Vo/LaLone (BSU), 8-3
2) Bryant-Swift/Vosburgh (BSU) def. Hopson/Smith (UNM), 8-4
3) Basil/Watson (BSU) def. Dulski/Olivier (UNM), 8-7 (7-3)
Order of Finish: (2,1,3)
1) Vo (BSU)def. Bezdickova (UNM), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) Blankers (UNM) def. Vosburgh (BSU), 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
3) Bryant-Swift (BSU) def. Dulski (UNM), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4) Smith (UNM) def. LaLone (BSU), 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
5) Basil (BSU) def. Hopson (UNM), 6-2, 6-4
6) Bhat (UNM) def. Watson (BSU), 6-0, 7-5
Order of Finish: (6,5,4,2,3,1)