Jan. 4, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The University of New Mexico men’s soccer program has received its latest round of national academic awards from the 2012 season. Seniors Victor Rodriguez and Levi Rossi and junior Kyle Venter were named to the NSCAA’s Scholar All-Region Team for the West Region.
For Venter, it’s his second national academic honor he’s received from the NSCAA this season. The Aurora, Colorado native was named a NSCAA Scholar All-American last month. It was his second-straight NSCAA Scholar All-America award.
For Levi Rossi, this honor is the latest in a very impressive academic career. He was named to the Capital One Academic All-America team for a second consecutive season back in November. Rossi is a two-time Capital One Academic-All District team member, a two-time Academic All-American and is on pace to be a three-time Academic All-MPSF team member. He has also helped spearhead numerous community service projects including organizing free youth clinics at Native American reservations and pueblos throughout the state of New Mexico.
Senior goalkeeper Victor Rodriguez is receiving the first national academic award of his career. Rodriguez is on pace to receive Academic All-MPSF honors as well for the 2012 season. He leaves the program with a career record of 36-4-4 and a career goals against average mark of 0.54. He is currently in the top three all-time in many program career goalkeeping records, which includes his all-time leading mark of 0.54 career GAA.
For the 2012 season, New Mexico has accomplished the following academic achievements:
- 2012 NSCAA Team Academic Award
- 3.30 Team GPA, which ranks in the Top 25 nationally
- Levi Rossi, James Rogers and Adrian Mora Delgado named to the Capital One Academic All-Region Team
- Levi Rossi was named a Third Team Capital One Academic All-American
- Kyle Venter was voted a NSCAA Scholar All-American (First Team)
- Victor Rodriguez, Levi Rossi and Kyle Venter named to the NSCAA Scholar All-Region Team
- Academic All-Conference award winners are to be announced later this month