Feb. 26, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The University of New Mexico men's soccer will return to the pitch for seven contests this spring. The Lobos' 2013 spring schedule includes a match against Creighton who made the Final Four of last season's NCAA Tournament. The matches will take UNM throughout the state of New Mexico and to Arizona and Colorado.
Coach Fishbein and company are coming off another record-breaking season in 2012. The Lobos finished 17-4-1 while making their second-consecutive Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Those 17 wins helped match the program's record for most wins in a two-year span. The 2011 and 2012 teams combined to win 35 matches, which tied the 2004 and 2005 teams. The season saw Jeremy Fishbein become the program's all-time winningest coach while three Lobos were selected in the MLS Draft.
Lobo Soccer 2013 Spring Schedule
- Saturday, March 30th at 10 a.m. versus Fort Lewis College at Robertson Practice Facility (UNM Campus)
- Saturday, March 30th at 3 p.m. versus Fort Lewis College at Robertson Practice Facility (UNM Campus)
- Saturday, April 6th at 9 a.m. versus UC Riverside at Grand Canyon University Soccer Complex (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- Saturday, April 6th at 8 p.m. versus Grand Canyon at Grand Canyon University Soccer Complex (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- Saturday, April 13th at 3:30 p.m. versus Denver at Taos Eco Park (Taos, N.M.)
- Saturday, April 20th at TBD versus Air Force at Robertson Practice Facility (UNM Campus)
- Saturday, April 27th at 3:30 p.m. versus Creighton at Denver University Soccer Complex (Denver, Colo.)
New Mexico will open the spring with a pair of matches against Fort Lewis College. The history between these two programs is rich as they have met six times going back to 1994. Furthermore, New Mexico Head Coach Jeremy Fishbein led the Skyhawks program from 1992-1998 amassing a record of 74-47-7 in those seven seasons. The Lobos and Skyhawks will meet on Saturday, March 30th at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. at UNM's Robertson Practice Facility adjacent to the indoor practice facility.
The Cherry & Silver will travel to Phoenix Arizona for a pair of exhibitions on the campus of Grand Canyon University. They will first face UC Riverside at 9 a.m. before facing Grand Canyon University at 8 p.m. UNM and GCU have met seven times since 1986 with the most recent meeting being an exhibition in the fall of 2011.
The following two Saturdays will see the Lobos take on former MPSF rivals Air Force and Denver. New Mexico will begin play in 2012 as a Conference USA member while Air Force and Denver have moved on to the WAC. UNM has faced the two programs a combined 73 times over the years. Coach Fishbein and company will first face Denver at Taos Eco Park in Taos, N.M. on Saturday, April 13 at 3:30 p.m. They will face Air Force one week later on Saturday, April 20 at Robertson Practice Facility on UNM's campus at a time to be determined.
The spring schedule culminates with the Creighton match on Saturday, April 27 at 3:30 p.m. at the Pioneer Soccer Complex on the campus of Denver University. The battle between two NCAA Tournament participants from a year ago will be the first since the two met in the 2010 NCAA Tournament in Omaha, Nebraska.