Fire in the First Half Fuels Lobos to Victory
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics  
Release:  08/20/2011
Courtesy: New Mexico Athletics

Aug. 20, 2011

Final Stats

Exhibition Game 2 - Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

Albuquerque, N.M. ---The Lobos opened the floodgates early on Tulsa Saturday night, hanging three goals on the Golden Hurricane in the first half of play en route to a 3-1 victory in front of a home crowd of 1,070 fans.

Lawrence Robledo came up big first for the Lobos in just the sixth minute of play, deeking two Tulsa defenders inside the box for a one-on-one opportunity with Tulsa keeper Adam Mumma. Some scrapping in the box just three minutes later yielded a penalty kick for the Lobos, which senior Lance Rozeboom blasted past Mumma to give New Mexico the 2-0 edge.

With all the momentum going their way, New Mexico kept up the pressure, peppering Mumma with 13 first-half shots to Tulsa's four against Lobo starter Victor Rodriguez. One of those 13 came from Blake Smith and found the back of the net in the 16th minute of play, putting the Lobos up 3-0.

Tulsa was able to fend off the Lobo force for the remainder of the half, and finally countered the attacking front when Tony Rocha's direct kick from outside of the box went upper ninety on Rodriguez in the 52nd minute to play.

The second half was less one-sided, as both teams put up eight shots, with six falling on goal for the Lobos but none filling the net. Tulsa though, while avoiding the shut-out, couldn't mount another attack to close the gap in score.

Rodriguez, who got the win for New Mexico, spent just over 70 minutes in net, making three saves on the night. Patrick Poblete finished the game for the Lobos, logging one save in just under 20 minutes in net.

Mumma took the loss for Tulsa having allowed all three goals to come during his 45 minutes manning the net. Michael Murray played the second half for Tulsa, facing eight shots and making six saves.

"We talked about how we wanted to come out tonight - we wanted to be strong off the bat, we wanted to press in their half and squeeze the game, and it all went according to plan," head coach Jeremy Fishbein said.

Twenty-one Lobos saw field time Saturday night, with eight of them putting shots on net.

"Everybody got minutes and we all showed a lot of composure," Fishbein continued. "There's still a lot that we can improve on but it went well overall. When you beat a quality team 3-1, you have to be happy with the game."

The Lobos will kick off their regular season of play with a home opener against Towson University on Friday, Aug. 26 at 7 p.m.

Saturday, August 15
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
vs. Air Force (Exhibition)
Wednesday, August 19
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
vs. Grand Canyon (Exhibition)
Saturday, August 22
7:00 PM -
Men's Soccer
at Denver (Exhibition)
Saturday, August 29
5:00 PM - 
Men's Soccer