Nordic Team Heads to Montana State to Complete MSU-RMISA Meet
Upcoming: The Lobos kicked off the 2003 collegiate season with Alpine races at Montana State on January 3-4. The Nordic team was competing in the U.S. Nationals in Rumford, Maine during that same time. As a result, the Montana State Nordic races were moved to January 17-18 in Bozeman, Mont. The Lobos are currently in 4th place at the Montana State - Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association meet and need a strong showing from the Nordic team to take their second race of the season.
• Currently the standings for the Montana State event are as follows: 1. Colorado (282), 2. Utah (280.5), 3. Denver (279), 4. New Mexico (261), 5. Nevada (207.5), 6. Western State(167), 7. Whitman College (137), 8. Alaska-Anchorage (86), 9. Montana State (75).
• The Lobos won their first meet since the 1992 season last week with the win at the Alaska/Utah-RMISA event. It was the first time a Lobo team had won an overall RMISA meet since the 1992 season.
• With the win at Alaska/Utah, the Lobos have moved into second place in the overall RMISA standings. The Lobos (822) are just a minuscule 3.5 points behind first place Utah (825.5) and are 39 points ahead of third place Colorado (783). Top-ranked and three-time defending national champion Denver is in fourth place overall with 781 points.
• Head coach George Brooks is entering his 33rd season at the helm of the UNM Ski Team. He has worked in the UNM athletic department longer than any other member of the staff.
• The Lobos are picked fourth in the nation in the Ski Racing Magazine coaches’ poll.
Nordic Notes RMISA Competition Montana State Meet Bozeman, Mont.
Friday, January 17Men’s 10K Skate Women’s 5K Skate
Saturday, January 18Men’s 15K Classic Women’s 10K Classic
• Due to the scheduling conflict between the US Nationals and the Montana State race, the Lobos and the rest of the RMISA will return to Bozeman, Mont. on January 17-18 to finish the first RMISA event of the season.
• Junior transfer Johan Rydquist has been a welcome addition to the Lobo squad since joining the team at the semester break. He won both the Classic and Freestyle races at the Alaska/Utah RMISA meet last week.
• The women’s Nordic team had an excellent showing at the Alaska/Utah RMISA meet last week, winning both the Classic and Freestyle races.
Alpine Notes RMISA Competition Colorado Meet Boulder, Colo.
Friday, January 31 - Men’s Giant Slalom Women’s Giant Slalom Saturday, February 1 -Women’s Slalom Men’s Slalom
• The Alpine team gets a week off from competition while the Nordic team completes the Montana State meet.
• Junior Caroline Schicht holds the RMISA lead in both the women’s Slalom and Giant Slalom races.
• The women’s Alpine team holds the overall lead in th RMISA while the combined Alpine team ranks third in the conference. • Freshman Alexander Freberg had a strong showing at Alaska/Utah with an eighth place finish in the Slalom and a strong second place finish in the Giant Slalom. • The men’s team is currently in fourth place in the RMISA.