Nov. 13, 2011
Final Stats |
Game 10: New Mexico Game Notes
Vs. UNLV, University Stadium
- New Mexico team captains were junior quarterback B.R. Holbrook, senior linebacker Carmen Messina and senior safety Bubba Forrest.
- UNM's 21-14 victory over the Rebels ended a 12-game losing streak, dating to last season. That was the longest in the nation. The Lobos also ended a six-game home losing streak (their last win was a 34-31 victory over Wyoming on Nov. 6, 2010).
- The Lobos' 80-yard pass play on the first play from scrimmage was their longest of the season, the fastest score of the season, (the 14:51 mark of the first quarter) and the first lead UNM had since holding a 7-0 lead against Sam Houston State on Sept. 24. It's the third game the Lobos held a lead this season (the season opener against Colorado State was the other).
- The Lobos' 14 first-quarter points were their most in the opening quarter this season. UNM had scored 10 points in the first quarter in its first nine games combined. UNM led 14-7 at the end of the first; it had been outscored 125-10 going into Saturday's game.
- New Mexico's 14-play, 80-yard TD drive that took 8 minutes, 18 seconds of the first quarter was its longest of the season in terms of plays and time of possession.
- UNM's 249 first-half yards was its most yardage in a half this season. The 415 yards was the most yards in a game for the Lobos since a 428-yard effort against New Mexico State on Oct. 1.
Saturday night's attendance of 14,937 was the lowest at University Stadium since the 1990 season finale against San Diego State drew 7,868.
- The 80-yard pass from QB B.R. Holbrook to WR Deon Long was a career-long pass for Holbrook and a career-long reception for Long. Holbrook completed his first five passes of the game for the first time in his career. Holbrook's 274 yards were his most since the Sam Houston State game on Sept. 24 (289 yards).
- RB Crusoe Gongbay had a career-high 93 rushing yards on 13 carries.
- RB Demarcus Rogers' 1-yard TD run in the first quarter was the second of his career. His two rushing TDs (including the game-winner on a 2-yard run with 1:15 left) were a career high.
- Quintell Solomon's 27-yard reception in the fourth quarter to kick-start the game-winning drive was his longest of the season. His six receptions and 94 receiving yards were career highs.
- TE Lucas Reed tied a season high with four receptions and had a season-high 58 receiving yards.
- MLB Carmen Messina surpassed the 100 tackle mark for the third straight season. He's the first the Lobo to record 100 tackles in three consecutive years since Brian Urlacher (1996-99). He had double digit tackles for the seventh time in eight games and the 25th time in his career. His fourth quarter forced fumble was his first of the season and he finished with 14 tackles.
- OLB Spencer Merritt set a season high with eight tackles; he had seven tackles against TCU on Oct. 22.
- FS Zach Dancel's pass breakup on fourth-and-3 on UNLV's final possession was his first career PBU.
- K James Aho missed two field-goal attempts, from 46 and 37 yards Saturday night (the 46-yarder in the fourth quarter was blocked. He has missed five straight field goal attempts. His last successful FG was a 21-yarder in overtime against Sam Houston State on Sept. 24.
- Kickoff specialist Justus Adams recorded a tackle on a kickoff in the third quarter, his fourth of the season.