Swimming And Diving: Freshmen Come Up Big For Lobos At Wyoming
Laramie, Wyo. - The University of New Mexico women's swimming and diving team defeated Wyoming 127-116 in the first meet of its season yesterday. The Lobos won six of the nine events, four of which were clinched by freshmen. New Mexico was also successful in diving, beating the Cowgirls 26-12 with 1-2 finishes in both the 1-meter and 3-meter events.
Freshman Robyn Miller (Napa, Calif.) had the best showing for the Lobos as she won both the 500 free in a time of 5:13.87 and the 200 free in 1:57.71. Sophomore Nicole Overeem (Hutchinson, Kan.) also placed well, winning the 1000 free in 10:50.89 and grabbed second place in the 500 free behind Miller, with a time of 5:21.83.
Whitney Thomson ( Allen, Texas) was able to score points for the Lobos in her first outing in the cherry and silver. The freshman placed first in the 200 IM (2:13.01) and third in the 200 backstroke (2:16.72). Another newcomer, Kelsey Leckovic (Burnaby, B.C.), also scored highly in two events. She won the 100 free in 54.52 and clinched third in the 50 free with a time of 25.37.
Myra Will (Tillamook, Ore.), the lone senior on the squad, made her presence known in the 50 free with a time of 24.38, which was good enough to give her first place.
The diving competition also went in UNM's favor as junior Tracey Berghian (Phoenix, Ariz.) placed first in the 3-meter with a score of 261 and second in the 1-meter (239.55). Sophomore Becca Barras won the 1-meter event (261.15) and placed second behind teammate Berghian in the 3-meter with 252.15 points. The 1-2 finishes for the Lobos gave them a combined 26 points for the diving portion of the meet. Freshman Kelsey Knafelc (Colorado Springs, Colo.) also competed in the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. She claimed seventh place in both events with scores of 187.125 and 183.63, respectively.
The Lobos will look to continue their winning ways Oct. 18-19 at the Early Bird Invite in Fort Collins, Colo on the campus of Colorado State University.
UNM Women vs. Wyoming
UNM finishers only
400 Free Relay
2. New Mexico A 3:41.77 3. New Mexico B 3:49.10
400 Medley Relay
2. New Mexico A 4:06.32 4. New Mexico B 4:18.29
1. Myra Will 24.38 3. Kelsey Leckovic 25.37 6. Alison Bushkill 26.35
1. Kelsey Leckovic 54.52 4. Lauren DouBrava 57.46 6. Carly Jessup 58.39
1. Robyn Miller 1:57.71 4. Lauren DouBrava 2:03.19 5. Carly Jessup 2:04.63
1. Robyn Miller 5:13.87 2. Nicole Overeem 5:21.83 3. Lindsey Jeter 5:23.75
3. Whitney Thomson 2:16.72 4. Heather Morsilli 2:18.13 5. Casey Woster 2:19.93
2. Heather DiLuzio 2:29.12 6. Casey Woster 2:49.69
2. Aimee Dunavant 2:16.40 5. Megan Verbrugge 2:18.20
1. Whitney Thomson 2:13.01 4. Heather Morsilli 2:17.37 6. Aimee Dunavant 2:27.19
1. Nicole Overeem 10:50.89 3. Lindsay Jeter 11:08.90 5. Megan Verbrugge 11:19.75
1. Tracey Berghian 261 2. Becca Barras 252.15
1. Becca Barras 261.15 2. Tracey Berghian 239.55