Women’s Tennis Finishes Strong in Opening Day of UNM Fall Invite
Albuquerque, N.M. - The University of New Mexico women’s tennis team used to strong finishes from junior Sandy Lukowski and sophomore Michelle Heidbrink to even their record at 3-3 in singles play in the opening day of the UNM Fall Invite. The Lobos are joined in the event by Boise State, New Mexico State, and Houston. Teams are playing a mock-team format where only individual scores are kept.
The Lobos started the afternoon off strong by sweeping three doubles matches from New Mexico State. Junior Tjasa Suvak and freshman Maja Kovacek defeated NMSU’s Stella Veerman and Lejla Porobic in the No. 1 doubles match (8-5). Lukowski and sophomore Tiffany Robertson took down the Aggie duo of Isabelle Mignot and Sandra Mayr, 8-5, in the No. 2 match. The Lobos’ lone senior, Rachel Hatley, joined with junior Maria Ruiz-Fabrega to defeat Kate Hodge and Samantha May, 5-3, in the No. 3 match.
The Lobos began their singles matches with Boise State carrying a great deal of momentum from their dominating doubles performance. However, the Lobos weren’t able to capitalized as they dropped their first three contests. Kovacek finally got a win for UNM when she defeated Jemima Hayward, 6-3, 7-6. Lukowski was pushed to a three-set match with Erin Polowski at the No. 4 spot, but was able to pull out the win in the third set (6-0, 4-6, 6-3). Heidbrink had the most-impressive match of the day with a huge comeback win against Alissa Ayling at No. 3. She was trailing a set, and down, 2-5, in the second set, before storming back to force a third set. Heidbrink went on to cruise to a 6-2 win in the third and take the match, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2.
The Lobos continue the UNM Fall Invite tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. (M.S.T.) with doubles matches against Boise State. They continue with singles play against Houston at 1:30 p.m. (M.S.T.) and all matches are being played in the tennis bubbles at the Lobo Tennis Club.
UNM Fall Invite Results - Day 1 - November 8,2002
Houston vs. NMSU - Singles
1. Stella Veerman (NMSU) def. Miranda Foley (UH) - 6-4, 6-3 2. Ani Longoni (UH) def. Lejla Porobic (NMSU) - 2-6, 7-5, 6-2 3. Yolandi Terblanche (UH) def. Isabelle Mignot (NMSU) - 6-1, 6-1 4. Kate Hodge (NMSU) def. Sandra Blajer (UH) - 6-4, 7-5 5. Karine Urbin (UH) def. Sandra Mayr (NMSU) - 6-3, 7-6 6. Kandace Ridgeway (UH) def. Samantha May (NMSU) - 6-3, 6-1
Houston vs. Boise State - Doubles
1. Erin Polowski/Jemima Hayward (BSU) def. Karine Urbin/Ani Longoni (UH) - 8-4 2. Miranda Foley/Yolandi Terblanche (UH) def. Renate Stoop/Alissa Ayling (BSU) - 8-5 3. Anna Curtolo/Carolina Pongrentz (BSU) def. Sandra Blajer/Sarah Flood (UH) - 8-2
New Mexico vs. Boise State - Singles
1. Renate Stoop (BSU) def. Tjasa Suvak (UNM) - 7-6, 6-2 2. Maja Kovacek (UNM) def. Jemima Hayward (BSU) - 6-3, 7-6 3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Alissa Ayling (BSU) - 6-7, 7-6, 6-2 4. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Erin Polowski (BSU) - 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 5. Anna Curtolo (BSU) def. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) - 6-3, 6-3 6. Carolina Pangrentz (BSU) def. Maria Ruiz Fabrega (UNM) - 6-4, 6-2
New Mexico vs. New Mexico State - Doubles
1. Tjasa Suvak/Maja Kovacek (UNM) def. Stella Veerman/Lejla Porobic (NMSU) - 8-5
2. Tiffany Robertson/Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Isabelle Mignot/Sandra Mayr (NMSU) - 8-5
3. Rachel Hatley/Maria Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Kate Hodge/Samantha May (NMSU) - 8-3