Women’s Tennis Sweeps Houston in Singles in Day 2 of UNM Fall Invite
Albuquerque, N.M. - The University of New Mexico women’s tennis won all seven of its singles matches against Houston in the second day of competition at the UNM Fall Invite in Albuquerque, N.M. Senior Rachel Hatley had the most impressive win of the day, only dropping one game in her defeat of Cristina Rueda Flores, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot.
Junior Sandy Lukowski also had a strong showing at No. 3. She defeated Sandy Blajer in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0. Both junior Tjasa Suvak and sophomore Michelle Heidbrink won their matches in straight sets. Suvak defeated Analia Longoni, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2 while Heidbrink defeated Yolandi Torblanche, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 3. The only Lobos pushed to three-set matches were freshman Maja Kovacek and sophomore Tiffany Robertson. Kovacek pulled out her match against Miranda Foley (6-7, 6-3, 6-1) at the No.1 spot while Robertson defeated Karine Urbin (6-3, 3-6, 6-1) in the No. 5 match. Junior Maria Ruiz-Fabrega defeated Kandace Ridgeway, 8-2, in a pro set in the No. 7 match.
The Lobos’ did not fair as well in their doubles matches against Boise State, dropping all three contests. Suvak and Kovacek lost at the No. 1 position to Jemima Hayward and Erin Polowski (9-7). Robertson and Heidbrink were defeated at No. 2 by Renate Stoop and Alissa Ayling (8-5). Lukowski and Ruiz-Fabrega were defeated, 8-2, in the No. 3 match by Anna Curtolo and Carolina Pongrantz.
Action concludes tomorrow at the Lobo Tennis Club Bubbles in Albuquerque. The Lobos will take on Houston in doubles at 12:00 p.m. and New Mexico State in singles at 1:30 p.m. (M.S.T.).
UNM Fall Invite - Day 2 - November 9, 2002
New Mexico vs. Houston - Singles
1. Maja Kovacek (UNM) def. Miranda Foley (UH) - 6-7, 6-3, 6-1 2. Tjasa Suvak (UNM) def. Analia Longoni (UH) - 6-3, 6-4 3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Yolandi Torblanche (UH) - 6-4, 6-4 4. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Sandy Blajar (UH) - 6-3, 6-0 5. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) def. Karine Urbin (UH) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 6. Rachel Hatley (UNM) def. Cristina Rueda Flores (UH) - 6-0, 6-1 7. Maria Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Kandace Ridgeway (UH) - 8-2
New Mexico vs. Boise State - Doubles
1. Jemima Hayward/Erin Polowski (BSU) def. Tjasa Suvak/Maja Kovacek (UNM) - 9-7 2. Renate Stoop/Alissa Ayling (BSU) def. Tiffany Robertson/Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) - 8-5 3. Anna Curtolo/Carolina Pongrantz (BSU) def. Sandy Lukowski/Maria Ruiz-Fabrega - 8-2
New Mexico State vs. Boise State - Singles
1. Renate Stoop (BSU) def. Stella Veerman (NMSU) - 2-6, 7-5, 6-2 2. Jemima Hayward (BSU) def. Lejla Porobic (NMSU) - 6-3, 6-1 3. Alissa Ayling (BSU) def. Isabelle Mignot (NMSU) - 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 4. Anna Curtolo (BSU) def. Kate Hodge (NMSU) - 6-4, 6-2 5. Erin Polowski (BSU) def. Sandra Mayr (NMSU) - 6-1, 6-2 6. Carolina Pongrantz (BSU) def. Samantha May (NMSU) - 6-1, 6-1
New Mexico State vs. Houston - Doubles
1. Lejla Porobic/Stella Veerman (NMSU) def. Karine Urbin/Analia Longoni (UH) - 8-1
2. Miranda Foley/Yolandi Terblanche (UH) def. Sandra Mayr/Kate Hodge (NMSU) - 8-1
3. Cristina Rueda Flores/Sandy Blajer (UH) def. Samantha May/Isabella Mignot (NMSU) - 8-5